Friday, December 19, 2014

Here's to Cisco, and Sonny, and Leadbelly too

It's too bad circumstances forced us to skim over Woody Guthrie. I am glad, however, that these two got to be presented together. They belong together.

It must have been through Bob Dylan that I found Woody. It's been so long, and I identify with him so much, that it is hard remembering what life was like before I found him.

He did work.

The country was in pieces, and he rode around with people like Leadbelly singing songs to give people hope.



Entertaining people so they would forget that they were hungry, shoeless, or homeless. They gave relief, however fleeting it was. Self indulgent, yes maybe, but he did good work.

I remember the day Pete Seeger died. I almost cried. The last person to ride with Woody is gone. The world needs a Woody Guthrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment